Sunday, June 30, 2013

Chelle's Running Story

All blogs have to start somewhere, right? So, here goes:

I visited the doctor back in August of 2012, for a completely unrelated issue. While I was there, I told him that my knees were always popping and hurt just a bit, deep under the kneecap. He played around with my knees, and informed me that I have Patellar Tracking Disorder. I decided that if I was going to have runner's knees, I was going to earn them! I started the Couch to 5k program and determined that I would finish it, and at the end, if I hated running that I'd never do it again. Guess what? I loved it. I read a quote during my C25K time that said, "Never Deny Your Body It's Ability to Amaze You" and have made this my mantra. It's the truth. You are capable of more than you ever imagined you could accomplish. If I can, you can.

Shortly after, during running I began having horrible knee pain, both knees. I refused to make a doctor's appointment until the pain became bad enough that I was afraid I had done some serious damage. I broke down and saw a sports doctor that told me she didn't feel that Patellar Tracking Disorder wasn't an issue, but I have slight cartilage wear. She suggested physical therapy. I had eight PT sessions, learned some exercises to strengthen running muscles, and was taught better stretching techniques. I have some kneecap grinding, but the pain improved greatly. 

Running brings me peace.

I ran my first 5k on June 22nd of this year. My next 5k is July 6th.  There are more scheduled.

This is a brand new blog, and will undoubtedly go through many adjustments and a growing period, before settling on what I hope to see it be. So when you're reading our blog and decide to look back, this is where my running story all began. Cheers!

No comments: